In gas industries, a butterfly valve is often considered to control the gas flow of a circular disc or vane with the pivotal axis sharp at 90 degrees to the direction of flow. The butterfly valve is actually a quarter turn valve and it is the quarter angle turn which facilitates the gas flow efficiently. Consult the leading butterfly valves manufacturers which is durable enough to stand the pressure of the gas flow.
Typical Applications – The typical and most critical application layers of butterfly valves are summarised as below:
- High-pressure and high-temperature steam and water services
- Vacuum services
- Cooling water, air, gases, fire protection and related areas
- Compressed Air or Gas Applications
Generally, these are considered over the gate, globe, plug and ball types of valves owing to saving of space, cost, weight and money. Coming to gas industries, the benefits provided by those of the leading butterfly valves manufacturers, that make them widely popular and recommended by experts are as below:
- Easy Accessibility – The butterfly valves are easy to fit and open. It is the 90 degree rotation axis handle which compensates the easy opening and closure of the valve. Especially for larger size butterfly valves, they come pre-equipped with a gearbox which enables connecting the hand wheel to the stem of the valve.
- Cost effective – Butterfly valves are generally cheaper to build up. Especially for the wafer type and lug wafer design, the valves are actually held between two pipe flanges by bolts which join the two flanges and it is the holes which allow them to pass through in the valve’s outer casing. The materials to build up a butterfly valve are quite cheaper compared to the other types.
- Less Space – It is due to the compact shape and design of the peripherals and angular position of the gears which makes it less space consuming.
- Low Maintenance – There is hardly any or negligible maintenance when it comes to butterfly valves. Also, they are durable enough to stand the wear and tear for a considerable span of time. This is another way of saving time and cost from maintenance.
Components – There are 4 major components in a butterfly valve, as below:
- Body – The butterfly valves have their bodies fitted between two pipe flanges, examples being the wafer type and lug designed types of butterfly valves.
- Disk – It is through the disk that the valve is able to stop and control the flow of gas. This can be customised by the leading Butterfly valve manufacturers to improve and regulate the gas flow, sealing and also for operating torque.
- Stem – It can be a one piece shaft or a split system two unit shaft. The stem should be selected from a material such that it is protected from the media, in keeping with the cost and physical properties.
- Seat – Seat of a butterfly valve can be made from elastomers or polymers and the seat is either fully pressed to the body of the valve or locked in.
It is generally wafer type and lug style butterfly valves that are considered for the various applications. Consult the premium butterfly valves manufacturers for the necessary guidance to the type required for your requirement. It is imperative to install the gaskets with care and caution while setting up the unit.